How does Perfect Patterns work? When direct Joystick for each Board?

Home forums Pac-Man gameplay Hint’s & Tips How does Perfect Patterns work? When direct Joystick for each Board?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    francoisadt
    Participant

Hi Mark & Collegues

I would like to understand when a gamer follow a pattern, at which point at each corner

does the gamer must direct Joystick for each Board to make the pattern not to fail (break down).

So who can get this information starting with Cherry, Strawberry, Oranges, Apples ect…

At each board pattern, there must be a way that when Pac-Man is moving that at a particular

point in the path at each corner (as Pac-Man travels along the path till the end), the gamer

have to direct the joystick in the direction Pac-Man ahs to go.

Either :

( a ) In the corner

( b ) One dot before the bend of a corner (1 or 1.5 spaces ?)

( b ) Two dots before the bend of a corner (2 or 2.5 ? spaces ?)

( b ) Three dots before the bend of a corner (3 or 3.5 spaces?)

Each corner is different, so can show a diagram of the pattern and indicate on the diagram exactly at which point the joystick is pushed till the end? Note: The pattern path is shown in many diagrams on the internet

BUT not when the joystick have to be pressed before or on when a corner have to be taken.

Another dimension is the speed, the higher the board level the more sensitive the corner taking is.

Mark Singleton
    Keymaster

Its a tough one that ,as each pattern is different.mainly the quick corners by the ‘T’ sections i find cause patterns to break down (for me at least) .on the longer sections as long as your pushing the direction before the turn Pacman will turn at the earliest point he is allowed i think its 4 pixels from center of the turn.Jamey Pittman’s Pacman Dossier covers pre turning in depth.theres a link to it in one of the topics in this forum.

pacman83

In real game time, using original hardware, seeing the pixel spacing in Jameys dossier (although interesting) is of no real use in real time. Every section of the maze has a ‘flat’ spot. The long straights of course, have very large ones and even the ‘T’ sections have flat spots. It’s all about timing, rhythm and experience when it comes to pre turns. You need to concentrate on the flats either just before (as in the quick turns) or in good time with the long ones. These short and long pre turns make up the rhythm of the pattern.
    I find that if you break up your pattern into ‘chunks’, you can negotiate these chunks as you progress throughout the maze.</p>
    Also, take note of the periphery and ghost locations in relation to you. There’s a string of pointers that Pac guys look out for as they move through their pattern. If you break down the pattern into these chunks, look out for your relative position to the Ghosts and make sound pre turns, then you should be good.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by pacman83.
    • This reply was modified 9 months ago by pacman83.
    pacman83

Don’t forget too, every gamer has different styles in the way that they hold the joystick, how much pressure they apply and exactly how they interpret distance and speed inputs. In short, everyone is different, every board is basically different and my above response to your question is as best as I can advise.

Hope it helps.

Mark Singleton
    Keymaster

Great answer Jon.

its just down to practise and experience there is no right time to execute your turn.even the type of joystick used and how its setup ( leaf switch) or actuation speed (micro switch) can effect the timing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.